The Midwest Region Conference, Churches of God General Conference is committed to representing Jesus throughout our region. Our region is made up of over 50 churches in Illinois, Indiana, and Iowa. We offer the opportunity for thousands of individuals and families throughout our region to have a group of people to do life with and experience God's love.
Attention Illinois Clergy!!!
The Illinois Abused and Neglected Child Reporting Act that addresses mandating reporters underwent changes effective January 1, 2020.
Wagenmaker & Oberly, a law firm in Chicago that provides legal counsel to churches & other non-profit organizations, published a thorough article regarding the changes. Click here to read the article.
- Mandated reporters now include any child-care worker affiliated with a church or other non-profits (this includes clergy, ministry staff, and volunteers)
- Mandated reporters are now required to take training courses (failure to comply with these reporting requirements could result in a Class A misdemeanor)
- Training must be completed within three months of their date of engagement in an official capacity as a mandated reporter
- Previously, clergy were only required to report suspected sexual abuse – the law has been expanded and now requires clergy, along with everyone else, to report all forms of suspected abuse and neglect
- Free online training is available through DCFS
- Ensure all employees and volunteers are aware of the new training requirements
- Keep track of who has and has not completed the training course – keep in mind it that it would be best practice to not allow those who have not complied to engage in activities with children
Click here to access DCFS's free online training resource.
Click here to go to the Illinois General Assembly's website for law 325 ILCS 5